DMDL provides NCLB Title I supplementary instructional services to Private Schools located in the Chicago School District attendance area. These services include direct instruction, interventional tutoring, academic counseling, and fine arts. DMDL is seeking to hire Academic Tutors for these schools.
Tutors will serve students, grades K-12, in various nonpublic schools throughout the Chicago Public School District attendance area, providing 2-10 hours of academic tutoring per week. Candidates must be able to work independently, display good judgment and possess excellent organization and communication skills. A bachelor's degree in education or related field and classroom teaching experience is required. An interest and understanding of various artistic disciplines is very beneficial as well. This position requires a contractual commitment from September through June, with an option to continue through summer school. A criminal background check will be conducted on selected candidates.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Tutor individuals and small groups of up to 10 students
- Prepare interventional tutoring plans for each student or group of students as needed
- Work to reach all students by utilizing creative instructional methods that compliment each child's learning modality
- Employ effective classroom management techniques to create the optimum learning environment, enabling students to achieve their highest potential
- Effectively communicate with regular classroom teachers, school administrators and parents regarding student progress
- Work closely with DMDL cohorts to help create a cohesive learning experience for participating students
- Maintain accurate attendance records and documented student class work
- Attend ongoing training/support meetings with DMDL staff (approx every 6 wks)
- Operate within instructional strategies and protocols of both DMDL and schools
Personal Characteristics & Attributes
Qualified individuals must also be creative, possess a firm belief that all students can learn, and have a detail-oriented work ethic. Candidates possessing good relationship building skills, as well as a desire and ability to motivate, mentor and encourage students at-risk youth preferred.
Competitive pay will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.
To apply, send a resume to:
Re: Academic Tutor Position
1111 N. Wells, Suite 502
Chicago, Illinois 60610